Napaimute is located on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, 28 miles east of Aniak in the Kilbuck-Kuskokwim Mountains. The climate of Napaimute is continental, with temperatures ranging from -55 to 87. Average annual precipitation is 20 inches, with snowfall of 85 inches. Napaimute means “forest people”, and was once called “Hoffman’s.” In 1906, George W. Hoffman, an Englishman, established a trading post at the site. A community of non-Native trappers and miners, with a significant number of Native Alaskans, developed around the trading post. Hoffman built a territorial school in 1920. A second school was established in 1926. By the early 1950s, most residents had moved to nearby villages, many to Aniak. Today, it is used as a summer fish camp. Napaimute is used seasonally by area Natives as a subsistence camp. The village is no longer occupied year round. Napaimute is easily accessible by riverboat. In the summer months all passengers, cargo and mail arrive in the village by boat. A cargo barge stops several times during the summer. Air charters by float planes or ski planes are available. The river is used as an ice road by snowmachines during winter.
Incorporation Type: Unincorporated Area
Population: 2 (2017 Department of Labor Estimates)
Native Village of Napaimute
P.O. Box 1301
Bethel, AK 99559