The Donlin Gold Kuskokwim Education Foundation (DGKEF) promotes education and vocational training for TKC Shareholders interested in the mining industry, along with expanded opportunities for mining related and support industry training.
Created in 2017, the DGKEF was established as a result of an agreement between The Kuskokwim Corporation (TKC) and Donlin Gold, LLC, two for-profit corporations with mutual interest in supporting education and workforce development among TKC shareholders and the region; ensuring a well-training labor pool for the proposed Donlin Gold mine project. DGKEF is an independent non-profit organization.
DGKEF is committed to supporting training efforts that lead to gainful employment and building skills.
Native Village of Napaimute (NVN) employees recently completed a four-week Heavy Equipment Operation & Maintenance, Welding, Truck Driving, and Safety Course at the Northern Industrial Training facility in Palmer. The training was a great success.
Stanley Morgan says:
“This training program has helped me learn a lot and improved on what I already learned. I went to the training program last year and it was for grader operation, maintenance and proper safety but that was for 13 days and I learned a lot in that short time period. This time I am in for 19 days and so far I could operate a dozer, excavator, loader and an 18 speed truck. I could operate them in ways I never knew. We also had a class where we learned the importance of preventive maintenance, scheduled maintenance and safety. Each week we had a new instructor for each different program and they are all professional, fun and very helpful. I had fun on this program and it’s opened the doors to my acceptance of knowledge and the ability to work more efficient. I’d like to Thank AVCP EET, The Kuskokwim Corporation, The Donlin Gold Kuskokwim Education Foundation, the Donlin Gold Community Support Program, and Native Village of Napaimute for this awesome experience! It has a very huge impact on our work environment.”
This was a joint effort funded between TKC, DGKEF, AVCP, and Donlin Gold. We are happy to support this training as the NVN employees maintain the ice-road in the winter time, and work on the Timber Harvest project in the summer supplying firewood and house packages.
Applicants must complete the following steps, to ensure that applications for financial assistance can be processed in a timely manner. Remember: The DGKEF application and materials must be complete before consideration for funding.
- Complete DGKEF application, budget and supplement questions.
- High school transcripts or GED certificate. If the student previously attended a post-secondary school, that transcript is required.
- Copy of official acceptance letter from the school/training program.
- TKC enrollment letter or shareholder ID.
- Current photograph (electronic preferred.)
Priority Application Deadlines
July 15th | December 15th
July 15 is the priority deadline for Fall or Winter term, and December 15 is the deadline for Spring or Summer term. Any application submitted after these dates may or may not be considered, based on available funds, however, priority consideration will be given to those following the bi-annual priority dates listed above. Applications must be received 30 days prior to entering the school in order to be considered. Funding is limited and scholarships are competitive.
- Eligible applicants may not also receive Kuskokwim Educational Foundation scholarships.
- DGKEF awards are based in part on financial needs. Students must apply and complete the financial aid process for their selected school.
- Students are required to maintain a 2.0 GPA in order to remain eligible for continued support.
- Students may reapply each year for DGKEF scholarships until they have successfully completed their degree program or training certificate. Applications need to be completed and submitted each year.
Donlin Gold Kuskokwim Education Foundation (DGKEF)
4300 B Street Suite 405
Anchorage, AK 99503
Toll Free: 1-800-478-2171
Main: (907) 243-2944
Fax: (907) 243-2984